Monday, January 18, 2021

Amma Inge Va Va (Mom, come here…)

 All Tamil speaking person will know this famous rhyme ‘Amma Inge Va Va’. This is the rhyme that catches up any Tamil kid when they start saying their first few Tamil words.

When I am in pain, like my finger is pinched at door or accidentally cut myself when chopping vegetables, or even when I sneeze, I spontaneously say ‘Amma’ which means mother.   

Just wanted to go down the memory lane and ruminate about my Amma.

My mother’s  name is Shymala  , yes  me and our VP  Kamala Harris  share the  same mother’s name Shymala. Shymala means Blackish blue. Unlike her name her physiognomy was light-toned, gorgeous and good-looking. Grew up in a big well to do business family with 3 brothers and 2 sisters - she was the baby sister who was petted by all… She always cited her special bond with her elder brothers…

Her childhood was fun, went to school only up to 8th grade, later she stayed at home. She could not continue her education, as she had to go to different state (Guntur -AP) to take her exams then, which   was not approved by her parents. With her knowledge she guided me and my brothers in our initial school days….  I still remember her handwriting…. Her lower case ‘r’ will be a perfect crow flying in the sky…. 😊

Her memory was remarkable. Any Tamil song she sees/hears, she immediately identified which movie, actors, actress and story. She will remember the theater , whom  she went with ,  and any anecdotal experience   -  missed the first few minutes as they were late,  her dad forgot to bring the wallet and how  they managed to  watch  the movie borrowing money  from  the nearby  relatives then.  More importantly she had jewels and sari (dress) collection based on the heroines, that she saw in the movies - remember she was last in the family, how pampered she was. She dwelled in the movies she watches.

She was a foodie. Went to both the extremes. She loved all kinds of meat, chicken, fish, egg and was a voracious eater. She used to narrate how my grandma woke up early in the morning to cook for their big family, along with the help from in house maid servants. But when she got engaged to my dad who was a pure Vegetarian, whole heartedly followed his regime.

Happily got married at the age of 16 to my dad and I was born the next year itself…. Cannot imagine being a kid herself how she managed to give all the love and affection to me and my 2 younger brothers. 

Remained to be a homemaker - She was a precise cook. Everything she prepared for us was with care and perfection. Even a simple dish, she will be able to reproduce the same quality again and again. Definitely I cannot go near that!

She was very good at playing chess.  Whomever she played with, she was always the winner…. Yes she defeated my dad too…

Not only did she nurture our family, well supported and took care of the extended family – my grandparents , who  were the foster parents of my dad.

During my school and college days - she gave me all the encouragement needed.  She supported me when I decided to go to work - woman from our families were only homemakers then (25+ years back). When I planned to pursue my dream, to relocate my family to US, knowing that I will not be there near her, she was on mute, blessed us and bid good bye.

As we all know, gold to be made into exquisite jewel, need to face the heat from the fire, her life was always interwoven with challenges. In spite of it, her compassion to everyone was boundless… Friends, family, neighbors, servant maids in and around, knew my mom very well and any help needed, she was there for them too…

She was sweet toothed… yes she loved all kinds of sweet dishes. She was diabetic, like her mom.   Never took care of her health and succumbed at the age of 57.

Who are the people we take for granted? The people who love us the most, we take them for granted. Yes I did it with my Amma.  If given an opportunity to roll back, I like to spend more time with my mother, whenever I visited India. I repent for it, now.

Today (Jan 18th 2021) is her 12th anniversary, hence wanted to ponder about her….

She is a good role model. I think for her and pray to her everyday… She is my Amma right, to comfort me she comes in my dreams sometime – not often though….Yes she is always there when I sing the rhyme - Amma Inge Va Va!

 

 


2 comments:

  1. Truly touching. Sadly we cannot go back in time but can only re-live those memories within ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. அம்மா தான் first,
    அம்மா தான் last,
    அம்மா தான் best.

    Hello my mom name is Kamala ; :)

    ReplyDelete